Thursday, May 14, 2015

Running behind for good reasons

** cross posted to Lass Chronicles **

I'm two weeks behind in the #52Ancestors challenge; but I will catch up.  I have been working on the archiving project and had Mom in town over Mother's Day.

So...the archiving project. I've been working with a friend to set up a program called Collective Access. It's free, open-source software for "describing all manner of things."1 That process isn't as easy as we had hoped. In the meantime, I created a free account at Omeka.net. "Omeka.net is web-publishing platform that allows anyone with an account to create or collaborate on a website to display collections and build digital exhibitions."2

Omeka.net is crazy easy to use. It takes very little effort. I'm still figuring out the the quirks and limitations. I have one test record with a photo. There are other records loaded, but no images. I'm not thrilled with the page appearance for items. I'm also not enamored with the image handling. I would like to host all my photos on Flickr and either add linked thumbnails to Omeka or choose a field for adding the linked image. If I don't load images to Omeka, it won't display images on the main pages.

I'm pretty sure I'm rambling by now.

p.s. I'm going to cross post a few of the #52 Ancestors posts from Lass Chronicles.


1. Collectiveaccess.org,. 2015. 'Welcome To Collectiveaccess.Org | Collectiveaccess.Org'. http://www.collectiveaccess.org/.

2. Center for History and New Media, George Mason University. 2015. 'Omeka.Net'. Info.Omeka.Net. http://info.omeka.net/about/.

No comments:

Post a Comment