|Kiss me, I'm Irish!|
Let's start with his headstone and the only census I have found him in, the 1900 U.S. Census.
|Davis Headstone, Magnolia Cemetery1|
|Michael H. Roach and family, 1900 US Census2|
|Close up of M.H. Roach, 1900 US Census|
His headstone states he was born 24 Dec 1863. The 1900 US Census states he was born Dec 1859. That is a significant difference in years. Next, is a transcribed portion of a Baptism register from the Roman Catholic Parish of Rathkeale in County Limerick. The transcription sates that Michael Henry Roach was baptized 29 April 1857.3
|Baptism record: Name - Date of Baptism - Sponsors/Godparents|
Finally, I have a passenger list record for one Michael Roach, born about 1856, arriving 29 Oct 1874 in New York.4
|Transcription of passenger list: Michael Roach (age 18)|
Here are my current problems:
I have no idea who provided the info for the headstone or when. You will notice the headstone is marked DAVIS. The most recent death date is 1974. The oldest is 1913. I'm inclined to believe that the stone was not placed until 1971 or 1974. It could have been placed in 1916, but unlikely.
I do not have a copy of Michael Henry's death certificate. I can get it. I just keep putting it off.
The census is notoriously full of errors. There's no indication of who provided the information. How much trust do I put into this document?
I have no provenance for the register transcription. That alone should make the transcription suspect. Gee, I guess I will have to go to Ireland myself. Shucks.
I do not have Michael Henry's naturalization records. In the 1900 US Census, he is enumerated as being naturalized.
He does not show up in the New York Emigrant Savings Bank, 1850-1883.5
He doesn't show up in the U.S., Naturalization Records - Original Documents, 1795-1972 (Louisiana isn't covered).6
He doesn't show up in the U.S. Naturalization Records Indexes, 1794-1995 (Louisiana isn't covered).7
I can't browse for him in the Louisiana, Naturalization Records, 1831-1906 because the digitizing project is only to surname "Jury." 8
I have more places to search. I have more records to sort through. Today, though, I'm celebrating my Irish heritage.
1. Findagrave.com. 2015. 'Michael Henry "Mike" Roache, Sr (1863 - 1919) - Find A Grave Memorial'. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=14824525.
2. Year: 1900; Census Place: Lake Charles, Calcasieu, Louisiana; Roll: 560; Page: 27A; Enumeration District: 0016; FHL microfilm: 1240560. http://ancstry.me/1Er3r6n.
3. Catholic Parish Transcript. Attached to other trees controlled by cousins.
4. Year: 1874; Arrival: New York, New York; Microfilm Serial: M237, 1820-1897; Microfilm Roll: Roll 394; Line: 1; List Number: 1160. http://ancstry.me/1Er31gs.
5. Search.ancestry.com,. 2015. 'New York Emigrant Savings Bank, 1850-1883'. http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=8760.
6. Search.ancestry.com,. 2015. 'U.S., Naturalization Records - Original Documents, 1795-1972 (World Archives Project)'. http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=1193.
7. Search.ancestry.com,. 2015. 'U.S. Naturalization Records Indexes, 1794-1995'. http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=1192.
8. Familysearch.org,. 2015. 'Louisiana, Naturalization Records, 1831-1906 — Familysearch.Org'. https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1459894.