Wednesday, March 25, 2015

#52Ancestors: WK 12: John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt

** cross posted from Lass Chronicles **
His name is my name, toooooooo!

You can thank me later for the earworm. This week's theme is "same" and rather than try to shoehorn a relation into resembling me or (my life), I thought I'd look at names.

The top 5 male names from 1914 to 20131 are:
  1. John
  2. James
  3. Robert
  4. Michael
  5. William
The top 5 female names for the same time period1 are:
  1. Mary
  2. Patricia
  3. Jennifer
  4. Elizabeth
  5. Linda
My tree, as of Jan 2015, has 1007 people. Comparing the national list to my tree:

Male
  • John (40)
  • James (31)
  • Robert (16)
  • Michael (10)
  • William (35)
Female
  • Mary (23)
  • Patricia (3)
  • Jennifer (2)
  • Elizabeth (13)
  • Linda (2)
I'm inclined to think that the people before me bucked the trends when naming their children. I'd actually like to look at this more. The Social Security Admin site even has a breakdown of top names by decade. I'm a nut for reports and playing with numbers. It would be interesting to compare my tree to each decade.



1. Ssa.gov,. 2015. 'Top Names Over The Last 100 Years'. http://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/decades/century.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment